Two world records was broken in this year edition of EDP Lisbon Half Marathon in the wheel chair races.
David Weir bettered his 2015 performance and cross the line in 42.23 minutes, more than one minute before Simon Lawson (43.55) and Laurens Molina (44.55).
In the women race, Rochelle Woods was the first in 49.49, just one second ahead of Jade Jones (49.50).
In the men EDP Lisbon Half Marathon, the Kenyans proved their dominance with seven men in the top’10. Sammy Kitwara as win this year’s edition of the IAAF Gold Label Road Race.
One spectacular day expected the athletes in
In the first half of the course, Leonard Komon was in the front, really away from the others, but in the last kilometers he just slow his pace and finished more than one minute and half after the winner, Kenyan Kitwara. As he noted: “I intended to be fighting for the podium. I didn’t felt comfortable and I am cautious. Luckily I could ran for win with an unexpected performance”.
Kenneth Kipkemoi crossed the line 18 seconds after Kitwara and Paul Lonyangata finish the podium in the third place, before Emmanuel Kipsang (4th). Tthe first non Kenyan was
Women battle pending to Aga
The women race was really challenging, with the first five women running together until the first half. Portuguese Sara Moreira didn’t keep this pace (finished in the 5th place) and the other four keep the lead a few kilometers more. After the Portuguese was Kenyan Eunice Chumba who stay behind the pace and at 20km mark Ethiopian’s Ruti Aga and Ymer Wude Ayalew and Kenyan Linet Masai checked the same time: 1:05.50. In that final kilometer Ruti Aga was stronger and just win with seven seconds ahead of Wude Ayalew. Masai crossed the line 10 seconds after her to finish third.
For Ruti Aga “this performance was not what I expect. I ran slower than pretended, but I’m happy with this win.”
- Sammy Kirop Kitwara (KEN) 59:47
- Keneth Kiprop Kipkemoi (KEN) 1:00:05
- Paul Lonyangata (KEN) 1:00:11
- Emmanuel Kipsang (KEN) 1:00:14
- Leonard Komon (KEN) 1:01:30
- Moses Kibet (UGA) 1:01:37
- Stephen Arita (KEN) 1:01:48
- Emmanuel Bett (KEN) 1:02:37
- Goitom Kifle (ERI) 1:02:39
- Ayele Betesfa (ETH) 1:02:48
- Ruti Aga (ETH) 1.09.16
- Ymer Wude Ayalew (ETH) 1.09.23
- Linet Masai (KEN) 1.09.33
- Eunice Chebichi Chumba (BRN) 1.09.55
- Sara Moreira (POR) 1.10.17
- Clemence Calvin (FRA) 1.11.17
- Jelena Prokopcuka (LAT) 1.11.44
- Dominika Napieraj (POL) 1.12.07
- Beata Naigambo (NAM) 1.12.44
- Fatna Maraoui (ITA) 1.13.52